Pages

Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Easy Street Part 2

This last Friday Bonnie posted the next step in the Easy Street Mystery Quilt.  At first she informs us we can put the grey fabric away, because we are now done with it.  

This week we are making 128 unfinished flying geese pieces that measure 2" X 3-1/2".  These geese are going to be made from the white on Black and purple fabric.  First we need 128 triangles cut out in the purple.  Then a total of 256 white on black right triangles that are divided in half for the left and right sides of the triangles. She also included a video on how to use the Easy Angle and the Companion Rulers to cut out the triangles.  Check it out here!  It was sure nice to have, as a reference when I began cutting.  

Since I didn't get back until late Saturday night from California, I was a little behind on getting started with this weeks steps, my great husband stepped in to help after he learned how to cut with a rotatory cutter.  He did a good job on the cutting.  He watched the video on the white on black triangles, I gave him the Easy Angle Ruler, the Rotary Cutter, and the fabric.  Since I already had 2 inch stripes cut from last weeks steps it made it a little easier for getting that process done.  He cut them all up and divided into different stacks for me.  

While he was doing the white on black fabric, I started on the purple fabric which needed to be cut into 2" stripes first.  Next I used the Companion Ruler, which made it very easy to cut the triangles. The cutting went really fast. 

When the cutting was finished I started sewing the right side triangles on the purple triangles.  Once i finished I snipped the thread in between each, then iron the right side open.  Then began sewing the left sides on and then iron them open.  When I was done with all the sewing i had 128 flying geese. I then looked at the Bonnie's Pictures of her finished flying geese I noticed one little thing, I matched the white on black fabric patterns and she didn't match them.  Not sure if that will be a big deal, what do you think? 


The only think I need to do now is a little prep work, with the white on black fabric by cutting them into 64 2"x 3-1/2" rectangles.  

Looking forward to the Fridays step!

Tina

10 comments:

  1. I think it's going to look good. I even thought about doing that. Little envious of that husband there. Please don't tell me he cooks too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so nice to know there is another guy out there that quilts! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He has been wanting for me to teach him, so he can help with the projects.

      Delete
  3. What a sweetie! Mine shares with doing the cooking and does all the grocery shopping, but I don't think my fabric would be safe if I gave him a rotary cutter! Looks like your catching up just fine. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks you for the comment. I think I can trust my guy with my fabric, he even go fabric shopping with me.

      Delete
  4. How sweet to work together to get your steps done--and well done I must add!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looking great and so wonderful your sweetie helped out - if you're lucky...you quilting twosome could become a regular thing - over 20yrs ago my hubbs retired from the Navy...joined me at our 'then' cross stitch shop...which turned into our 'now' quilt shop...and he went from jet mech to a living and loving the life of a longarm quilter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I do feel so lucky to have a guy like that. We are hoping that this will be come a regular thing. It is neat to see husbands getting involved. Sounds like you have a special guy also.

      Delete