Pages

Friday, January 10, 2014

Kansas City Star BOM #1

Today I started out the day with making the binding and labels for my mom's quilt that I just finished quilting for her.  Then I started to look through some of my projects that are a little behind.  I notice that I had 2 months of Heirloom Kansas City Star Block of Month to do.  So I decide to I would start working on them.

A little back ground on this quilt.  These block are inspired by the 12 blocks that were published in the Kansas City Star newspaper. My Great, Great Grandmother had some of these patterns.  A couple of years ago, my mom gave me all the patterns that my great great grandmother had.  The patterns and the pattern pieces that she made out of old cereal boxes where there.  She would make the patterns with old shirts and clothing that were not used anymore.  So when Fat Quarter Shop announced that they were making these block from the Star into a Block of Month, I decided I want to make it up for myself.  


Block One - "Christmas Tree" was Printed on June 6, 1934, in the Kansas City Star Newspaper.  The fabrics they are using are Moda's Sweet Pea, from Kansas Trouble Quilters.  


The block is much easier to make than it looks.  You start by cutting and preparing all the blocks for sewing.

You make 2 different sets of 6 half square triangles.  


Then you make the tree trunk by using a 6-1/2" block and sewing a 5-1/2" block on one of edges diagonally and then trimming 1/4"away from the seam and pressing open. You do the same on the opposite side to finish the block. 



Next you assemble the other 3 blocks that make the over all block.  These blocks make up the leaves of the tree. You use the half square triangles and the extra pieces you make at the preparing stage at the beginning. 


The four block look these above before you sew them together.


The block measures 12-1/2" x 12-1/2" unfinished.  I think these are going to be fun and can't wait to start the next block.


Tina


No comments:

Post a Comment