Pages

Monday, February 11, 2019

Island Batik Magnificent Minis


The first project for the 2019 Island Batik Ambassador were challenged with was to make a Magnificent Mini that measured 24" x 24 or smaller.




For my project, I wanted to make a modern looking mini out of my Studio 180 Design tools and some of the fabrics from my Island Batik Ambassador leftover blender and basic fabrics from previous years. I also used four 5" x wof strips from my Stash builders bundles that I received in my Island Batik Ambassador Box.



My mini blocks were 3 1/2" unfinished,  I needed to make  1" finished units from my Studio 180 Design following V Block® trimmer and the Tucker Trimmer® 1 tool.  Many of you are probably asking can I get blocks that small with my Studio 180 Design tools.  Well, of course you can make units that small with the Studio 180 Design tools.  That why I love these tools they are so versatile with so many sizes in one tool.



To make the blocks used in my mini, I started off making a total of 36-1 1/2" unfinished V Block units out of two different stash builder strips.



Next, I made 36-1 1/2" unfinished combination units using my Tucker Trimmer® 1. 



Once all my units were made, I cut 9-1 1/2" squares for the center of my blocks. 




Time to lay out the blocks and sew them together. Each block measure 3 1/2" unfinished.  A helpful tip if you make a miniature quilt is to press all the seams open so you will not have a lot of bulk in your seams.



All I have to do now was to add a border and quilt it.




Speaking about quilting,  I was just about finished quilting my last project on the longarm, I had enough backing and batting fabric to quilt my mini.  So I added it to the end of the project and did a quick stipple and it was complete.



My modern mini measures 12" x 12" and is really cute. 

Make sure you check out the other Island Batik Ambassador Magnificent Mini Projects this month. Already planning out my March project with Vintage Reimagined.


Carolina Asmussen ~Carolina Asmussen
Gene Black ~ Gene Black
Pamela Boatright ~ PamelaQuilts
Connie K Campbell ~ Freemotion by the River
Anja Clyke ~ Anja Quilts
Becca Fenstermaker ~Pretty Piney
Jennifer Fulton ~ Inquiring Quilter
Barbara Gaddy ~ Bejeweled Quilts by Barb
Dione Gardner-Stephen ~ Clever Chameleon
Sarah Goer ~ Sarah Goer Quilts
Vasudha Govindan ~ Storied Quilts
Joanne Hart ~ Unicornharts
Mania (Magdalini) Hatziioannidi ~ Mania for Quilts
Carla Henton ~ Creatin in the Sticks
Stephanie Jacobson ~ Steph Jacobson Designs
Connie Kauffman ~ Kauffman Designs
Joan Kawano ~ Moosestash Quilting
Kim Lapacek ~ Persimon Dreams
Emily Leachman ~ The Darling Dogwood
Leanne Parsons ~ Devoted Quilter
Bea Lee ~ BeaQuilter
Toby Lischko ~ Gateway Quilts & Stuff
Bill Locke ~ Studio Bill Locke
Denise Looney ~ For the Love of Geese
Leah Malasky ~ Quilted Delights
Sally Manke ~ Sally Manke
Maryellen McAuliffe ~ Mary Mack's Blog
Kathleen McCormick ~ Kathleen McMusing
Carol Moellers ~ Carol Moellers Designs
Karen Neary ~ Sew Karen-ly Created
Jackie O’Brien ~ If These Threads Could Talk
Laura Piland ~ Slice of Pi Quilts
Michelle Roberts ~ Creative Blonde
Vicki Schlimmer ~ Vicki's Crafts and Quilting
Gail Sheppard ~ Quilting Gail
Sherry Shish ~ Powered by Quilting
Anita Skjellanger ~ Quilt in a not-Shell
Laticia "Tish" Stemple ~ Tish's Adventures in Wonderland
Jennifer Strauser ~ Dizzy Quilter
Jennifer Thomas ~ Curlicue Creations
Terri Vanden Bosch ~ Lizard Creek Quilts
Alison Vermilya ~ Little Bunny Quilts
Sandra Walker ~ mmm! quilts
(Debora) Anne Wiens ~ Seams like a Plan
Geraldine Wilkins ~ Living Water Quilter
Janet Yamamoto ~  Whispers of Yore




See you next month with Vintage Reimagined, should be some exciting projects.


Tina
"Designs to Inspire"




9 comments: