Pages

Monday, July 31, 2017

Oh Baby! Island Batik Challenge

Oh, Baby was the theme for the Island Batik Ambassadors for July.  The challenge for the month was to make a baby or crib size (roughly 30” x 40” – 36” x 52”).


I had been going through what I had left in my box I found a cute charm pack called "Sweet Nectar," which I had been eyeing for the last couple months projects.  Working with Charm packs can be challenging and fun at the same time, so I was wondering what I can do with this project. 

So I went to my good drawing board called Electric Quilt 7 and started drawing a nice simple block.  Once I had the block figured out, I wondered what size can I make the block to assure that I had enough fabric. I decided on an 8-inch block.  And this is the final design I came up with.



The block is quite simple and consists of 2- 4 1/2" square blocks and 2- 2 1/2" blocks cut from the charm pack. Then add a little neutral color in 2-21/2" square and 2- 4 1/2" x 2 1/2" rectangles all sewn together in a 8 1/2" inch unfinished block.  

I need a little more fabric, so I did a quick order from Hancocks of Paducah, for a couple yards for the borders.  The final quilt measured 34" x 42", just a perfect size for a baby or crib quilt.  

Next months quilt will be a challenging we are to make a quilt as you go quilt. So make sure you check back soon.  

Make sure you check out the other Island Batik Ambassadors Projects for this month:

Turid from Den Syende Himmel
Stephanie from Quilt’n Party
Pamela from Pamela Quilts
Jessica from Desert Bloom Quilting
Kate from Seams Like a Dream
Jennifer from The Inquiring Quilter
Barb from Bejeweled Quilts
Jeanette from Inch Worm Fabrics
Connie from Kauffman Designs
Bernadine from Needle and Foot
Bea from Beaquilter
Cheryl from Cheryl Lynch Quilts
Maryellen from Mary Mack’s Blog
Joyce from Hearts Creations
Marlene from Kissed Quilts
Karen from The Quilt Rambler
Marian from Seam to be Sew
Laura from Slice of Pi Quilts
Linda from Inspired Layers
Carol from FunThreads Designs
Alison from Little Bunny Quilts
Jean-Sophie from Sophie Junction
Janet from Whispers of Yore

See you next month for another great challenge.

#ohbabyquilts #islandbatik

1 comment:

  1. Very pretty, and the colors in the border are great with the top.

    ReplyDelete