Graceful Points is back today with the release of Block #6 in this quilt along. If you would like to join in on the fun of this quilt along, you can catch up by reading the kickoff blog post. Please remember you can catch up at any time.
Before we start, you will need the following fabric colors, BG, C1, C2, C3, please refer to your color chart found in your general instructions. You will also want to download the Block #6 and the Blockbuster #8 54-40 Instructions, both are required to make your block.
Please remember that the pictures used in this tutorial are for the 6" block for the Wallhanging. Be sure to read the Downloaded Block Instructions to get the correct cutting and trimming sizes for the 12" block, which are indicated in (Blue) parenthesis.
Also since we are working with a new tool, please remember to read your V Block Trimmers instructions, and you can also refer to Deb's "V-Block Trimmer" Video
Let's get started, 54-40 or Flight block.
Unit A: V Block
1. Gather your strips, fold them in half placing right sides together on a cutting mat.
2. Fold the ends as shown in the picture above just deep enough to accommodate the slant cut for your finished unit size.
3. Position the V Block® tool so that the dashed line aligns with the fold and the Fold line matches up with the finished size.
4. Trim along the slanted edge of your tool.
5. Next, you will remover your tool from your strip. Then pick up the strip and flip from top to bottom.
6. Align the V Block® tool center triangle trim line with the previously trimmed edge and Cut the next center triangles.
Make 4 Center Triangles.
1. Gather your Side Triangle Strips, fold the strip in half, placing the right sides together on a cutting mat. Cleaning up the selvage end of the strips.
2. Position the V Block® tool, so the bold solid line aligns up against the trimmed end of the strips and the Finished line against the bottom of the strip.
3. Trim along the slanted edge of the tool.
4. Rotate the tool 180°, positioning the tool, so the extended diagonal line is against the previously trimmed slant cut. Trim along the straight edge of the tool.
5. Each cut will produce mirrored image side triangle pairs.
Make 4 Side Triangle Pairs.
V Block Assembly
1. Arrange your side triangles pairs and center triangles as shown above.
2. Position the left side triangle on a center triangle, so the right sides are together, making sure to line up the slanted cut edges tip to tip. Stitch with a 1/4" seam allowance and press the seam toward the side triangle.
3. Position the right side triangle on the other side and making sure to line up the slants edges tip to tip. Stitch and press like you did on the other side.
|Right Handed Trim|
|Left Handed Trim|
4. Place the V Block® tool on the unit and aligning up the Finished size measurement with the seam lines. Trim along the first two sides.
|Left Handed Trim|
5. Rotate the unit 180° and line up the V Block® too over the unit again, aligning the units cut sizes with the previously trimmed edges and "X" with the sewn line intersections. Trim the remaining two sides. (not pictured the right-hand trim).
Make 4 V Block units.
Unit B Four-Patch units.
Since we have done the Four-Patch units before, I will not be talking about them any further. If you need a refresher, please read Block #4 Rolling Stone blog post.
When all your units are complete, all you have to do is finish your block #5. Please follow Blockbuster page Download to make sure you lay out the units correctly. Making sure the Four-Patch units are going in the correct direction.
Block 5 is now complete, I look forward to seeing your Blocks, and I hope you will share your photos in the comments section below or on the Graceful Points Facebook Group. Additionally, you can post your blocks on Facebook or Instagram making sure to use the #gracefulpointsqal and/or #quiltingaffection designs. I can't wait to see your blocks.
The next block will be released on April 26th, where we will be continuing to use the Tucker Trimmer I and the V Block tools.
Also starting Monday, I will be hosting another Quilt Along for my next Block of the Month Pattern, "Garden Enchantment". If you would like more information, please check out my website.
Have fun with the block and a great weekend!
"Designs to Inspire"