Today is the final tutorial on how to make the SideKick & High/Low Units of the Garden Enchantment BOM Block 1. If you missed the first couple of blog posts on how to assemble units in this block, you can catch up by clicking on these links: Part One and Part Two.
For Block 1 we will be making 16 SideKick & High/Low units. If you are not familiar with this technique or want to get more information on this unit, I suggest you pick up the SideKick & Hight/Low Technique Sheet, which is now available on my website.
For this section, we will be removing the left Side of the based Section Square and replacing it with a Side Triangle that is cut with your Studio 180 Design V-Block® Tool.
Start off by gathering the White square (Base Sections), Purple Strip and Dark Purple Squares (Low Corner). Read your pattern cutting instructions for the exacts sizes to cut.
Based Section Cutting
3. Then you are going to place the Dotted line of you V Block® on the edge of the base section square and the bottom of the finished unit size guideline along the raw edge of the square. Cut along the slanted edge of the tool.
Repeat the steps above for all your remaining based sections.
Side Triangle Cutting
Please remember when cutting your Side Triangles this is the same process as when you make V-Block Units.
5. Position the Bold Solid line of you V Block® Trimmer on the edge of the trimmed end of the Purple strip and make sure to line up the bottom of the finished size guideline along the raw edge of the strip. Cut along the slanted edge of the tool.
6. Rotate the V Block tool 180° and position the extended diagonal line against the previously trimmed slanted cut.
Repeat to make 16 Side Triangle Units.
Do Not Trim at this point! We need to add the Low unit next.
8. Mark a diagonal line down the wrong side of your Dark Purple Square. This will be your stitching line.
9. Position the Dark Purple Square in the bottom right-hand corner of your SideKick with right sides together and the line going across the corner.
10. Stitch on the line, Trim the seams 1/4" from the stitching lines, and press away from the based unit.
12. Rotate your SideKick & High/Low unit 180° and line up the V Block® tool again. Aligning the cut size stated in your instructions with the previously trimmed edges and the "X" lines with the sewn seam line intersections. Trim the last two remaining sides.
You will make 16 SideKick & High/Low units.
Now we have all your units made for this block, refer to your pattern instructions and complete the assembly of your blocks. Please read the instructions thoroughly.
See you on May 15th for Block 2 release and tutorials.